#WednesdayWisdom

Wednesday, November 2, 2016




Sometimes the most important things you do each day are never on your "to do" list.


I have spent the past week engrossed in motherhood. Don't get me wrong, every day of my life is spent being engrossed in motherhood . . . but I am talking about the dirty side of motherhood. The gritty battle against sickness that hits every year when November knocks on our door. We said hello to the stomach virus and marched directly into strep throat without any sort of break. Each kid battling their own symptoms, leaving me there to clean them up and bathe them in tender love and care. 

Somehow we managed to hit a few houses on Halloween night and that was by the grace of God because we have had no breaks for about seven days now. Both of my kids looked like they had lost the war against sickness -- their little eyes showing exhaustion and defeat. 


Motherhood brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrow too. Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own.

I have always adored this quote. Perhaps it is because when someone else admits that Motherhood is hard, it allows us to both exhale in unison & nod in agreement. Yes, this love is heavy. Weighted in every corner. Certain seasons heavier than others. But all with the divine intention, to keep our hearts anchored first in our homes.




Yesterday we finally caught a break. Gratitude to the wonderful doctor for granting Piper a few days off from school. We spent the entire day unplugged -- or I spent the entire day unplugged. 

It's amazing to see the difference made in spirits when the cellphones stay on the charger. 

We didn't really crash -- it was more or less that we didn't ever move from our positions on the couch. Laying there -- with babies sprang -- cuddling -- watching Disney movie after Disney movie -- I realized how special these moments were. 

I never wish sickness on us -- but I don't mind the quiet moments where we are all together, laughing, and cuddled up. 

"If the only prayer you ever say in your whole life is: "thank you", that would suffice."

  -Meister Eckhart










2 comments

  1. This post needs a LOVE button! The photos were gorgeous, the words flowed smoothly with truth, and maybe it's because I totally had the same kind of week and can relate. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to use only IPhone pictures for my blog. <3

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Living Like Vikings. Design by Fearne.